Blog

5 Common Household Items that Could Poison Your Cat

As a responsible cat owner, you do everything within your power to keep your four-legged friend healthy and safe. What many otherwise responsible pet parents fail to realize, however, is that there are a number of common household items that , while they seem harmless, could be downright deadly to your feline friend. Below, an experienced Cumberland County vet shares 5 of these hidden dangers to watch for.

Household Products

You may know that ingesting soap, shampoo or window cleaner is dangerous, but to your curious kitty, it may seem like a tempting treat. Even just a few laps of certain household cleaning solutions can spell disaster for your feline. Be sure to keep cleaning fluids and other household products stored safely where your cat cannot get to them.

Medications

Whether it’s prescription or over the counter, medications can be extremely harmful for your cat if ingested. You should keep all medications stored safely out of the reach of pets and children, and never give human medication to your cat. Even something as mild as an Aspirin can prove deadly.

Plants

Pretty flowers and leafy plants may be beautiful to look at, but if you’re not careful about which kinds you place around your home, you could end up with a veterinary emergency. Common plants like Easter lilies and poinsettias are especially toxic to cats. Here’s a complete list of toxic plants to keep out of reach of your kitty.

Fertilizer

The pesticides found in many gardening and lawn care products can prove to be deadly to small pets, including cats. If you plan on landscaping your yard or garden, be sure to carefully choose products that are organic and specifically made to be safe for use around pets.

Antifreeze

This liquid used to maintain proper temperature inside your vehicle is extremely dangerous to small animals. It contains a chemical called ethylene glycol (EG), which is highly toxic. The danger with antifreeze is that it gives off a sweet odor and taste, making it tempting to cats, dogs and other animals. Once ingested, the poison begins to take effect almost immediately and can quickly result in death. To protect your kitty, use antifreeze that contains propylene glycol, which is safer, keep bottles stored safely out of reach, clean up spills and fix leaks immediately.

If your pet has come into contact with any of these things and you believe he or she may have become poisoned as a result, contact your Cumberland County vet immediately.

One of our most important roles as pet parents is keeping our four-legged family members safe from the many dangers that lurk around them. Being aware of these common household items and knowing how to protect your kitty against such dangers will decrease the chances that you’ll ever need to seek urgent veterinary care.

Website Designed & Developed by DVMelite | All Rights Reserved | Login

Facebook

Twitter